Mr. Kroll, librarian at Brookland Middle School, was named one of the five finalist for the Christie Award for his work in Homebound Education. The Christie Award is awarded to a special education teacher, related service provider, or support service providers such as a school counselor, psychologist or social worker. Mr. Kroll was a finalist for Homebound Teacher of the year under the support service provider category.
We are one week into SOL testing so let’s take a look at what is coming up.
• Here are some important reminders about being ready for SOLs:
o Have your fully charged computers and chargers with you everyday.
o Get to bed early so that you are well rested.
o Get a good breakfast so that you are fueled and ready to go.
o Study those areas that you need to focus on
o For the first time, Henrico is not allowing spinners in the testing environment.
• Students that just miss passing are eligible to retake their SOLs. We will do remediation and retakes following Memorial Day. We have the potential to see 10% growth in our scores if these Cubs pass the second time but to do that we must have parent approval. If you have not already signed it I have attached it to this email. SOL Retake Approval form 16-17.pdf
• Again this year we will have our SOL Celebration on the last week of school. All students that attend must have no suspensions and no more than one day of ALC from May 11th through the end of the year.
• To maximize our time to prepare for the SOL we will have a little bit of a strange schedule this week.
Thank you for your flexibility.
4th blk SOL Testing
HCPS-TV dropped by Mrs. Lewis’ 7th Grade Math class for a lesson on histograms and a SOL review. Click here to watch the video.
Students were given the chance to learn “real life skills” that would help them survive on their own. Click here to watch the video.
In our efforts to expand our open communication Brookland is joining the pilot program to give our parent’s their own access to Schoology. Schoology allows easy to access from any internet device and can be setup to send emails directly to your inbox with the most up-to-date information on your student’s progress. A letter was sent home last Tuesday (2/21/17) and provided instructions for creating your Schoology parent account. The information is also available on our school website if you missed the letter.
Want to know how to access Schoology? Want to know how your student is doing with their grades? Want to know what kind of assignments your student has? Click the graphic below and it will take you to the directions on how to access Schoology! Or watch this video by clicking HERE!
If you are looking for ways to support the Hero Movement @ Brookland, then try these out for the perfect fit:
- Remember to get your PTSA membership for only $5.00 for each family member.
- Link your, Kroger and Walmart cards with BMS so we get a little bit from each of your purchases.
- Collect those Box Tops for Education and bring them to the main office.
- Donate an hour of your time this year to help out on our campus.